Frequently asked questions about CAMPBIENT and the application process.

A: CAMPBIENT is an annual sound art micro-residency that take place in the Pacific Northwest region of the U.S.

Q: Who can attend CAMPBIENT?
A: All are eligible to apply, regardless of arts or sound experience. Diversity is encouraged!

Q: Whats the application fee?
A: It’s free to apply!

Q: How much does it cost attend?
A: We ask for a minimum $50 to cover campground fees. This donation is tax deductible. Lack of funds should not be considered a barrier and all are encouraged to apply regardless of financial resources.

Q: How do you choose who gets accepted to attend?
A: Applicants are selected on a variety of criteria that are intended to be as inclusive as possible. These include, but are not limited to, expressed interest and understanding of the concept, previous life experience, demonstrated skill sets (of any sort), and enthusiasm for a successful project. Lack of previous experience in music or the sonic arts is not a disqualification.

Q: What about transportation costs?
A: Transportation expenses are the responsibility of participants. For those locally, we can arrange shared transportation from and back to Seattle or to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) for those coming from further afield.

Q: Is CAMPBIENT a safe space?
A: Yes! CAMPBIENT is a safe place place for everyone. All are welcome and hate speech or actions are not allowed.

Q: What instruments or sound making devices can I bring?
A: You can bring just about whatever you want that is either acoustic or battery powered. But please no laptops or other audio workstations (DAWs). To respect the aural experience of other users of the campground amplified sound is not allowed.

Q: Can I bring a friend or spouse?
A: Everyone who attends CAMPBIENT must apply separately, and are chosen individually.

Q: Can I bring a pet?
A: Unfortunately, no. While we try to accommodate everyone’s needs, pets can potentially impose an unfair burden upon other participants. The only exception is for service animals defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Q: What about bad weather?
A: CAMPBIENT happens rain or shine, so be prepared! We only cancel the event if conditions are hazardous, such as the 2020 pandemic cancellation, wildfires, smoke event, or other natural disasters. As these are outside of our control, we can’t refund the campground fees.

Q: I’ve never been camping!
A: You wouldn’t be the first! We have lots of experience in the woods and will help you have a safe and enjoyable experience.

Q: What do I need for camping?
A: Whatever you will be comfortable in! Most people bring tents and sleeping bags, and clothing appropriate for the weather. Lack of equipment should not be considered a barrier to applying, as we have extra equipment to loan.

Q: Is this legit?
A: Yes!

Q: Who owns the copyright of the recording?
A: Everything produced at CAMPBIENT is under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

Q: I have more questions not answered here, how can I find out more?
A: Contact us!

Four residents recording sounds of hammers hitting metal.
Scroll to Top